The Communications Specialist will be the key point of contact for the USAID SCHEP (Sustainable Cultural Heritage Through Engagement of Local Communities Project) on all matters related to communications, and will work with USAID to ensure the project complies with all USAID requirements. The SCHEP Communications Specialist will have close coordination with the entire SCHEP team, and work closely with American Center of Oriental Research (ACOR) senior staff to ensure that communication is conducted effectively and contributes to the overall SCHEP vision. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of success in the communications sector or related fields, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills with a particular emphasis on written and spoken proficiency in English. The Communications Specialist will report directly to the Chief of Party.
- Work as a team member with other Communications Team members including the Communications Officer, Creative Producer and Editor, and Communications Assistant
- Collaborate with the Chief of Party (COP) and Component Leads to implement the communication strategy
- Ensure the availability and assist in the production of standard project outreach and communication materials, while acting as the program's primary custodian of all communication materials and ensuring compliance with USAID branding and marking
- Assist in the production of communication materials, such as snapshots (success stories), news stories, activity reports, and periodic accomplishment reports, as well as other publications. Organize press conferences, which may include conducting interviews and taking photographs
- Develop communications messages designed for varied target audiences, tested against audience receptivity
- Provide coverage of SCHEP events and prepare short summaries of proceedings and photographs with captions
- Maintain websites, social media accounts, and online learning tools, as well as track media reports in print, internet and broadcast
- Assist with program reporting for USAID, including weekly and quarterly reports, and other documents as needed
- Coordinate closely with related USAID projects, cultural heritage and tourism professional associations and institutions
- Coordinate with SCHEP team members in executing workshops, conferences, and study tours
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree (BA or higher) in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in communications strategy development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively
- Working in/with intergovernmental or international NGO organizations.
- Fluency at the level of an English native speaker.
- Preferably bilingual (written and spoken English and Arabic).